During debate in state Parliament yesterday, Alex Greenwich, Independent Member for Sydney proposed a motion calling on the Government to rule out forcing local councils to amalgamate.
Despite unanimous support for the motion from the Greens, Labor and the independents, the Baird Government rejected it. The State Government has clearly opened the door to the possibility of forced amalgamations.
The State Government has given local councils until the end of June to respond to proposals to amalgamate and create ‘mega-councils’. Pittwater will make a submission that demonstrates it is already, “Fit for the Future”. That’s the Government’s way of saying financially sustainable, efficient and able to provide effective services and infrastructure now and into the future.
A majority of local residents and businesses in Pittwater are strongly opposed to local government amalgamations, particularly if they are forced.
Alex’s motion sought to protect financially stable local councils that have community support for standing alone. It is disappointing the Government rejected that opportunity and took a step closer to breaching our trust.
Vote Now – Pittwater Forever
If YOU don’t do something NOW to stop our Pittwater changing forever, we will lose our wonderful Pittwater lifestyle. Vote Pittwater Forever!
Pittwater is a strong, local and independent council. We owe our pristine, beautiful environment and lifestyle to this. Click here for evidence.
What will happen if you allow Pittwater to merge with other councils:
- Rates will go up! This is proven by other mergers around the world
- You will lose say in your environment, your lifestyle
- Councillors will more likely be linked with a Political Party – not independent
- The process is messy, distructive and expensive, about $8.2 Million per council – you will pay, not just with money but with lifestyle
- Developers and other large organisation will have greater say on what happens in your neighbourhood
What YOU can do to save Pittwater Forever:
- Vote No merger for Pittwater in the council’s survey
- Attend the community consultation meeting being held by Council at Pittwater RSL Club on Tuesday 19 May, 2015 6:30 to 8:30 pm
- Become friends with Pittwater Forever on Facebook, Twiiter and sign up to the blog. (Pittwater Forever is a umbrella group of all the major Pittwater Community groups. CABPRA is a member).